India is blessed with many traditional folk-art forms. Most of these artforms are full of splendorous and vibrant colours. Unlike them Warli paintings is primarily known for its primitive design and use of only two colours Indian red and white.
Warli paintings take their name from the tribal community on the northern edge of the Sahyadri Range in Maharashtra, primarily in Thane and Palghar districts and Dangs region of Gujarat. The origin of the Warli art style dates back to the 10th century AD and has traditionally been used by the people from the Warli tribe to decorate walls of their mud houses on special occasions like harvest and weddings. The most important aspect of the painting is that it doesn’t depict any mythological characters or images of deities but portrays the circle of life and respect for nature, farming and wildlife.
Traditionally Warli art colours were developed from natural materials such as rice paste and natural glue, which were used to paint on the austere brown mud walls to form a striking contrast. The paintings are usually created on brown backgrounds that would be made from cow dung cakes and mud. Figures and shapes are drawn on the background using a white pigment, created from a blend of gum, water, and rice. Bare hands or Bamboo sticks served as the artists’ brush.
The uniqueness of Warli paintings lie in the fact that they are always drawn in specific geometric shapes such as circle, triangle and square and each shape symbolizes something distinct. For instance, the triangle symbolises mountains and trees. The square symbolising fertility and the circle represents the sun and moon
18 X 14 (Inch) | 46 X 36 (CM), 20 X 20 (Inch) | 51 X 51 (CM), 30 X 20 (Inch) | 75 X 50 (CM), 35 X 24 (Inch) | 91 X 61 (CM), 64 X 30 (Inch) | 162 X 76 (CM)
Frame, Without Frame
- Artist Name : Various Artists from HEM Orphanage and Dangs Tribal Region in Gujarat.
- Category: Traditional Warli Art
- Surface: Canvas
- Availability: Delivered within 7-14 days when ordered as Unframed, and 10-21 days when ordered as Framed.
- Quality: 100% Hand Painted
- Medium: Acrylic
- Shapes & Sizes:
Circle :- 15.7 X 15.7 cm (40 ×40 Inch), 4.7 x 4.7 cm (12 x 12 Inch)
Rectangular :- 46×36 cm (18 X 14 inch), 75 × 50 cm (30 X 20 inch) , 91 × 61 cm (35 X 24 inch)
Square :- 51 × 51 cm (20 x 20 Inch)
Note: Size can be customized. Contact us to get quote.
- Country of Origin : India
Shipping & Returns
- For orders delivered in India GST will be applied additionally. It’s 12% for Art and 18% for crafts.
- We ship all over the world with additional shipping and import duty charges.
- These beautiful wall paintings can be used for the office, home, living room & bedroom. Warli Canvas Paintings are one of the most beautiful forms of Indian folk paintings that give vibrancy to your house and create a beautiful ambience.
- Customized painting can be made.
- As these paintings are handcrafted therefore there might be a slight color or design variation, which is natural & hence makes the product unique.
Karan M –
Loved it – simply superb!
Pooja Patni –
Just letting you know that we have received the package. Thank you for your services 🙂 I will definitely recommend to my family and friends..
I have purchased 2 items so far and it is really well as displayed on the website. Excellent Service, good packaging and nice product